Womens National League 2009-2010 Season Playoffs




written by Thomas Esamie



Grand Final (Winner SF1 v Winner SF2)
Played (19/12/09) Shark Park
Referee : Kate Jacewicz, Crowd :
Sydney FC
Nikola Deiter, Teigen Allen, Servet Uzunlar, Heather Garriock, Julie Rydahl, Sarah Walsh (Brittany Whitfield 89), Kylie Ledbrook, Cathrine Paaske (Michelle Carney 90), Kyah Simon, Linda O'Neill, Leena Khamis (Catherine Cannuli 84)
Goals : O'Neill 66, Walsh 73, Rydahl 78
Coach : Alen Stajcic
3 - 2 Brisbane Roar
Casey Dumont, Kate McShea, Karla Reuter, Clare Polkinghorne, Joanne Burgess, Elise Kellond-Knight, Lana Harch (Courtney Beutel 72 (Stephanie Latham 83)), Aivi Luik, Tameka Butt, Lauren Colthorpe, Ellen Beaumont
Goals : Harch 14, Butt 90pk
Coach : Jeff Hopkins


W-League Match report - by Adam Lucius

Sydney has claimed its first W League title after stunning Brisbane with three second half goals to secure a 3-2 grand final win at Toyota Stadium.

The Sky Blues trailed 1-0 at the break but scored three goals in 12 minutes midway through the second term to deny Roar back-to-back trophies.

After a Lana Harch goal at the 15-minute mark separated the teams for almost an hour, the Sky Blues replied through Linda O'Neill (66th minute), Sarah Walsh (73m) and Julie Rydahl (78m) to steal a pulsating contest played out in hot and blustery conditions.

Tameka Butt replied with an injury time penalty for the Roar just seconds before a delirious Sydney bench sprinted on field to begin victory celebrations.

Both teams started full of enterprise, the first chance falling Sydney's way after just seven minutes.

Walsh found herself unmarked at the back post but couldn't steer her header down, the ball flashing over the bar.

Brisbane's goal was simple in the lead-up but wonderful in the execution.

Joanne Burgess directed her header straight to Harch, who let fly with a first-time volley that screamed past FC 'keeper Nikola Deiter into the top left-hand corner of the net.

Harch was swamped by delighted team-mates as Sydney began asking questions of its defence.

Walsh almost replied instantly for the Sly Blues but her near post header from a Rydahl cross failed to find its mark.

Minutes later Walsh ambitiously launched a half-cross, half-shot from an acute angle and turned away in anguish as it skimmed the crossbar and fell safely for a goalkick.

It seemed the unusual might be Sydney's best avenue for a goal, Brisbane skipper Clare Polkinghorne almost inadvertently conceding an own goal just past the half hour.

The ball hit the defender rather than the other way around from an otherwise innocuous cross, the Roar relieved to see the ball ricochet land gently into goalie Casey Dumont's arms.

Sydney kept pouring forward looking for an equaliser, captain Heather Garriock fashioning a late first half chance with a low cross which flew past a host of legs without contact.

The second half started in the same vein, Sydney keeping the pressure on in the search for the goal it and the parochial home crowd desperately craved.

Kylie Ledbrook came close on 51 minutes with a well-hit free kick that needed Dumont's intervention as it sailed towards the top right corner of the goal.

The Sky Blues' persistence finally paid off 24 minutes from the end of regular time.

Garriock won the ball with her head inside the Brisbane box, finding Walsh who immediately presented O'Neill with a square ball to fire home.

Seven minutes later the hosts had the lead for the first time.

Walsh, set free by a lovely long pass from Ledbrook, took a couple of touches before letting fly with an unstoppable shot from the edge of the box.

Her face covered with zinc cream, Walsh wheeled away in delight to hug a ballgirl as team-mates rushed to join the celebrations.

Rydahl sealed a deserved victory just five minutes later, lobbing a left foot shot over Dumont's head after Garriock had served up an inch-perfect pass.

It was the first time in four meeting Sydney had bettered Brisbane, a come-from-behind grand final victory the perfect way to break the drought.


Semi-Final 2 (2nd v 3rd)
Played (13/12/09) Bluetongue Stadium
Referee : Kirralee Gardener, Crowd :
Central Coast Mariners
Jillian Loyden, Caitlin Cooper, Lyndsay Glohe (Trudy Camilleri 73), Rachael Doyle, Renee Rollason, Kendall Fletcher, Michelle Heyman, Samantha Spackman, Ashleigh Connor, Jenna Kingsley (Kelly Golebiowski 46), Lydia Vandenbergh
Coach : Stephen Roche
0 - 1 Brisbane Roar
Casey Dumont, Kate McShea, Karla Reuter, Clare Polkinghorne, Joanne Burgess (Courtney Beutel 75), Elise Kellond-Knight, Aivi Luik, Tameka Butt (Lana Harch 89), Sasha McDonnell (sent off 69), Lauren Colthorpe, Ellen Beaumont (Pam Bignold 68)
Goal : Reuter 63
Coach : Jeff Hopkins



Semi-Final 1 (1st v 4th)
Played (12/12/09) Shark Park
Referee : Casey Reibelt, Crowd :
Sydney FC
Nikola Deiter, Alesha Clifford (sent off 12), Servet Uzunlar, Heather Garriock, Julie Rydahl, Sarah Walsh (Michelle Carney 87), Kylie Ledbrook, Cathrine Paaske, Kyah Simon, Linda O'Neill (Teigan Allen 37), Leena Khamis (Catherine Cannulli 82)
Goals : Walsh 44, Khamis 60, Garriock 84
Coach : Alen Stajcic
- 0
Canberra United
Lydia Williams, Rebecca Kting, Bronwyn Studman, Kahlia Hogg (Eleanor Raymond 84), Ellie Brush, Emily van Egmond, Shu O Tseng, Ashleigh Sykes, Nicole Sykes, Elyse Perry, Jennifer Bisset (Cian Maciejewski 60)
Coach : Ray Junna








Copyright © OzFootball 1995-2019 | Credits & About this site | Copyright Notice | Contact Us
This page was last updated on May 19, 2012