Australian State Leagues - New South Wales
2003/4 New South Wales Premier League

Written by Greg Stock.

Champions: Bankstown City Lions
Premiers: Belconnen Blue Devils
Semi-Finalists: St. George (2nd), Blacktown City (4th) and A.P.I.A.-Leichhardt (5th)
Relegated: Canterbury-Marrickville
Continental Cup Winners: Sydney Crescent Star

Gold Medal Winner: Ilija Prenzoski (Belconnen Blue Devils)
Golden Boot Winner: Matthew Borg (Bankstown City Lions) 19 goals
Goalkeeper of the Year: John Crawley (Blacktown City Demons)
Coach of the Year: Chris Tanzey (Belconnen Blue Devils)
Referee of the Year: Jonathan Streater

Season Review

The 2003/4 Premier League season ended in triumph for Bankstown City who timed their late season run to perfection. Finishing in third spot after the home and away season the Lions defeated St. George and Belconnen to make the Grand Final and were unstoppable in the big one defeating Belconnen 2-0 in the season decider.
The home and away season was largely a two horse race with Belconnen and St. George engaged in a battle royale over the final six weeks of the season to decide the premiership. St. George dropped three of their last four games to hand the premiership trophy over to Belconnen despite a last round victory over eventual champions Bankstown City. Belconnen to their credit never gave in and were rewarded for their consistency which included an unbeaten run of ten games, to claim the premiership trophy on goal difference.
Rounding out the top five were Blacktown City and Sydney Crescent Star. The Demons were consistently in the top five all season long and were only pipped for a top three spot in the final game. Despite an Elimination Semi-Final victory over Sydney Crescent Star they're luck ran out in the Minor Semi-Final against St. George where an early send-off saw them controversially bow out. Sydney Crescent Star did what no other promoted Winter Super League team had done previously and made the semi-finals in their debut Premier League season. They made the year a highly successful one by winning the Continental Tyres Cup, a newly established knock-out competition which added some much needed gloss to the season. Crescent Star won an absorbing final at Gabbie Stadium defeating Bonnyrigg White Eagles in a penalty shootout.
At the other end of the table, Canterbury-Marrickville finished with the wooden spoon and were relegated to the 2005 Winter Super League competition.
There were no representative matches during the season.

Premier League Final Tables

First Grade
Grade 20's

Back to the Top of the page | State League Archive | OzFootball