National Youth League Round 20

National Youth League Round 20

Written by Roy Hay.

Round 20

Southern Division

Saturday 28 February 1998

Heidelberg United		3	South Melbourne		1
(Tony Ouliaris 2, Nick Chronis)		(Sam Klidonas)

Sunday 1 March 1998

Bentleigh Greens		3	Altona Magic		0
(John Natsioulas 2, Con Papettas)

South Melbourne Rockets		0	VIS			3
					(Joey Di Iorio 2, own goal)

Albury Wodonga			2	Gippsland Falcons	3
(Cade Webb, Nathan Ardern)		(Billy Mitroulas 2, Luke Cheney)

Melbourne Knights		3	Carlton			2
(Mijo Trupkovic 2, Mario Jurjevic)	(Ivica Klarica, Jovanco

Bulleen Inter			v	Bye

Northern Division

Friday 27 February 1998

Newcastle Breakers		0	Sydney United		1
					(Michael Santalab)

Saturday 28 February 1998

Marconi Fairfield		1	Wollongong City		2
(Fernando Pellegrino)			(Paul Reid, Chad Bishop)

QAS				2	AIS			0
(Russell Miner, Morgan Cawley)

Sunday 1 March 1998

Sydney United Colts		2	Marconi Fairfield Colts	2
(Brett Murray, Tony Rubelj)		(Ryan Manente, Mark Hagger)

Monday 2 March 1998


UTS Olympic			v	Bye

Bye				v	UTS Olympic Colts

League ladders

Southern Divsion

Team			P	W	D	L	F	A	Pts

Melbourne Knights	16	14	0	2	69	17	42
Carlton			15	13	0	2	33	9	39
Gippsland Falcons	16	11	2	3	35	16	35
V I S			15	8	3	4	36	17	27
Bulleen Inter		15	8	2	5	26	20	26
Bentleigh Greens	16	6	2	8	20	30	20
Heidelberg United	16	5	2	9	19	40	17
Albury Wodonga		16	5	1	10	23	24	16
South Melbourne		16	3	3	10	30	29	12
Altona Magic		15	3	2	10	18	53	11
South Melbourne Rockets	16	1	1	14	13	67	4

Northern Divsion

Team			P	W	D	L	F	A	Pts
A I S			17	12	2	3	63	15	38
UTS Olympic		16	9	4	3	52	24	31
Wollongong City		18	9	4	5	36	34	31
Sydney United		17	8	6	3	49	29	30
Q A S			17	8	4	5	38	22	28
Marconi Fairfield	17	8	2	7	33	33	26
Marconi Fairfield Colts	17	6	3	8	27	40	21
Newcastle Breakers	16	5	5	6	35	32	20
A C T A S		16	5	4	7	21	44	19
Sydney United Colts	16	3	3	10	18	47	12
UTS Olympic Colts	17	3	3	11	26	60	12
N S W I S		16	2	4	10	19	37	10

Leading goalscorers

Southern Division

Name			Team			Goals

Adis Kablar		Melbourne Knights	13
John Kalabric		Melbourne Knights	12
Zoran Petrevski		VIS			12
Jovanco Novacevski	Carlton			10
Festim Zekiri		Melbourne Knights	7

Northern Division

Name			Team			Goals

Mile Sterjovski		AIS/Sydney United	25
Mark Hagger		Marconi Fairfield Colts	18
Joe Bruni		Marconi Fairfield	10
Chris Tanchevski	Newcastle Breakers/AIS	10
Azur Mujanovic		Sydney United		10
Jim Bakis		UTS Olympic		10
Nick Carle		UTS Olympic		10

National Youth League (Southern Division), 28 February-1 March 1998

Michael Edgeley had a broad smile when he reported that Heidelberg
United had downed old rivals South Melbourne by three goals to one on
Saturday.   Tony Ouliaris scored twice for the Bergers, the first from
a penalty kick in 31 minutes, the second seven minutes later.   Sam
Klidonas pulled a goal back for the Blues in 85 and in a rip-roaring
finish Nick Chronis made the points safe with a third goal for the
Bergers in the last minute.

In the table top clash at Knights Stadium, Melbourne Knights came back
from 0-1 and 1-2 to beat Carlton by three goals to two.   Cameron
Pino's inswinging corner kick was headed past Andrew Belaich by Ivica
Klarica after 16 minutes, but Mario Jurjevic equalised with a header at
the far post after leading up work by Mijo Trupkovic, Festim Zekiri and
Michael Bosevski who put over the accurate cross from the bye-line. =20
Another Pino free kick left Jovanco Novacevski with a free header to
restore Carlton's lead in 32 minutes, then came the goal of the season
so far.   Mijo Trupkovic won the ball in midfield, beat his man, played
a one-two with Zekiri, then walked round keeper Adrian Cagalj and
coolly placed the ball into the empty net.   In injury time in the
first half Trupkovic scored what turned out to be the winner with a
late run on to a cross from the left and shot just inside the post.

The VIS beat South Melbourne Rockets by three goals to nil at Anderson
Reserve.   Joey Di Iorio scored twice for the VIS in 6 and 74 minutes
and the other was an own goal in 82.   The Rockets fought well with
Julian Zach, Brett Gilmour and Fadil Klancevic the pick of the team.

Bentleigh Greens overcame Altona Magic by the same score, with two
goals by John Natsioulas and one by Con Papettas.

Gippsland Falcons travelled to Albury Wodonga and came home with a
three-two win in a close fought game.   Billy Mitroulas scored twice
for the boys from the Valley and Luke Cheney was also on target.   Cade
Webb scored for Albury on his first game back after a long spell out
with injury and Nathan Ardern got the other goal.   Without several
regulars Albury Wodonga played very well throughout and might have had
a share of the points with any luck.

National Youth League (Northern Division), 28 February-1 March 1998

A single goal by Michael Santalab for Sydney United after 16
minutes was the difference between Newcastle Breakers and United at
Topper Stadium on Friday.   Sydney United moved up temporarily to third
in the table with the narrow win.   Both sides had a player sent off in
the second half and the match was as close as the score suggests.

Queensland Academy of Sport pulled off one of its best results of the
season in a two-nil defeat of the Australian Academy at Suncorp in what
was described as a high standard game all round.   Rusell Miner and
Morgan Cawley scored the goals one in each half and there were top
performances from Andrew Packer and Shane Stefanutto for the QAS.   The
Queenslanders kept the pace up to the end matching the AIS lads in
every way.

Wollongong City downed Marconi Fairfield by two goals to one at Marconi
Stadium.   Paul Reid after 48 minutes and Chad Bishop with a penalty in
65 scored for the visitor and Ferndando Pellegrino replied for Marconi
in 68 minutes.   The win enabled Wollongong to climb back over Sydney
into third spot.

Sydney United Colts and Marconi Fairfield Colts shared the points in a
two-all draw at Sydney United Sports Stadium on Sunday.   Brett Murraya
put United in front in 24 minutes, but Mark Hagger's 18th goal of the
season four minutes later locked the scores once again.   Tony Rubelj
scored for United in 66 minutes, but again Marconi fought back and Ryan
Manente equalised in 73 minutes.   It was even all the way and though a
player from each side was sent off late in the game it was spirited and
well fought match.