Glory v Victory

A-League report by Eamon Duffy
Perth Glory v Melbourne Victory

In front of a very poor crowd of just 7,983 on a glorious day in Perth, Victory maintained their 100% record with a 2-1 victory against an ineffective Perth Glory side.

The match was a very poor affair with neither side impressing, in fact after this one would have to wonder as to how Victory have that 100% record.

In fact Glory more than matched the leaders in the first half , but once again the lack of a decent striker was all too painfully exposed. If Perth are really serious about attracting more than 10,000 supporters to a game, especially at $25 a general admission then they will have to start producing on the pitch. Unfortunately there was very little on show today to off any hope to the faithful supporters.

First chance of the game fell to the home side after 7 minutes when a Bertos corner evaded the attackers and was brushed out for another corner by Muscat's elbow.

In the 9th minute Kristian Sarkies turned the Glory defense but his shot was wide of the goal.

We had to wait until the 22nd minute for the next action and it was a 25 meter shot from a clearance of a corner by Colosimo that this time went wide.

The teams went to the break at 0-0, but with Glory having the better chances, in fact the fans on the terraces were wondering just why Victory were on top of the table.

The complexion of the game changed in the 55th minute when a Victory cross was headed clear by Coyne, but only to Muscat, who first time played a clever ball into the box to Careres and the former Glory player quickly and accurately guided the ball into the Glory net for the first goal of the game.

Glory should have equalized just 2 minutes later when Colosimo released Bertos with a great ball but the winger come forward was off target with his shot as it just passed the wrong side of the goal.

Even the introduction of crowd favorite Despotovski in the 61st minute failed to revitalise Glory and in fact it was Victory who went further ahead in the 72nd minute albeit due to a dubious penalty award. Thompson was away on the right hand side of the Glory area and he attempted to pull the ball back to Caceres, however the ball appeared to play onto Webster's arm who was trying to get it out of the way, similar to the first half corner incident with Muscat, however this time referee Peter Green pointed to the spot for a penalty. Up stepped the Victory captain, Muscat and he made no mistake to give his side the 2 goal advantage.

Glory gained some consolation in the final minute of the game when Tarka rose and headed powerfully a Bertos corner giving Theoklitos absolutely no chance. However it was a case of too little too late.

So the game finished 2-1 to Victory and next week Glory play away in Newcastle while Victory face 2nd place Queensland Roar.