Jets v Roar

A-League report by Robert Szomolnoki
Newcastle United Jets v Queensland Roar

Queensland Roar has defeated Newcastle United Jets 3-2 to make it two wins from as many games this season in the A-League in an thrilling contest.

An 86th minute strike from Simon Lynch sealed victory for the visiting side at EnergyAustralia Stadium after the scores were locked at 2-2 at the half-time break

A smiling Qld Roar Coach Miron Bleiberg declared 'We were lucky' as Qld Roar overcame an impressive Jets side that had dominated possession for most of the match.

In comparison Jets Coach Nick Theodorakopoulos looked 'stunned'. 'A very good game, passing, pressing, but we haven't won, we are finding ways to lose games'. He was referring to disastrous defending that lead to each of the 3 goals conceded, a slip up between Coveny and Webb that led to Reinaldo opening goal as early as the 4th min, then Okon's bizzare own goal in the 37th min and then he failed to clear the ball in the 86th min as Lynch sealed victory. 'Lynch didn't score, we contributed to it' Theodorakopoulos continued.

Credit must be given to both coaches as each team came out with a attacking 4-3-3 formation and in the first half the play certainly went from one end to the other.

Queensland Roar opened the scoring after just 4 mins, Ognenovski disposed Carle and Lynch passed to Reinaldo with a through ball after a mix between Coveny & Webb and the Brazilian fired past Jets keeper Kennedy 1-0 Qld Roar. A min later Griffiths came close to replying for the Jets, firing a cross/shot onto the crossbar.

The 12 min saw a long Okon pass for Bridge who just shot wide of the far upright. The 19 min saw Haliti play a one-two with Thompson before sending in a cross for Bridge who should of attacked the ball, instead Packer got a foot in.

The 22 min saw Griffiths yellow carded for a foul on Ognenovski, they contiuned to have a great battle for the entire night.

The 24th min saw the equaliser arrive in amazing circumstances with a long ball from Jets defender Durante leading to a terrible mix-up between Gibson and goalkeeper Reddy who called for the ball but the ball hit Gibson head and went backwards past the advancing keeper and into the net, its 1-1. Bleiberg admitted at the post match press conference that he replaced Gibson at half time because of this incident 'the goal keeper has the say when it comes to crosses, Gibson's form dropped after the goal, he lost his confidence'.

Two mins later a Milicic shot from outside the area struck the cross bar. A further 2 mins later a brilliant Haliti run saw a cross to Bridge whose shot just goes over the crossbar.

The 35th min saw a Thomson run towards the penalty area end in a foul and from the resultant Carle free kick, Reddy made a fine punching save.

In the 37 min Queensland Roar retook the lead with the game's second bizzare own-goal, a Packer ball for Reinaldo saw Okon aiming to clear a low cross from Reinaldo hit it directly into his own goal. 2-1 to Qld Roar.

The 39 min saw Bridge end an extraordinary half with the game's fourth goal, running on to a Thompson throw-in and firing home a strike off the left post from close range to make it 2-2.

The second half saw the pace of the game diminish greatly but the excitement remained fever pitch as both teams battled to create a decisvie opening.

The Jets dominated possession and pushed for a early second half goal the 55th min saw a passing move involve Bridge, Griffiths, Carle end with Coveny finding some space on the edge of the box but driving his low strike left of goal.

The 78 min saw Griffiths miss a golden opportunity when he stumbled over a terrific low cross from Bridge in the six-yard box.

The 86 min saw Lynch grab the winner, pouncing on a loose ball in the Jets' box after Okon failed to clear from a Vidosic free kick and firing past Kennedy from point blank range 3-2 Qld Roar.

In the 91 min a frustrated Griffiths then spoilt his first Hyundai A-League home game for the Jets, picking up a second yellow card for putting the ball into Ogenenovski's face in a disappointing end for the hosts.