Roar v Glory

A-League report by Vitor Sobral
Queensland Roar v Perth Glory

The Queensland roar continued their woeful form in front of goal last night as they played out a 0-0 draw with Perth Glory. The Roar barraged the Glory goal in the second half but they just couldn't find that coolness in front of goal so important to a team who lack goals.

Miron Bleiberg reverted to a 3-4-3 for this game, leaving Remo Buess on the bench. Bleiberg said he had been working on getting the wide players more involved during the week, but all the early chances came through the middle and Alex Brosque.

In the 5th minute Brosque hit a low shot across goal, which Jason Petkovic dealt with easily. Three minutes later another Brosque shot went straight into the waiting arms of Petkovic.

The Roar were attacking in numbers the attacks were disorganised and easily dealt with by the rigid Glory defence, this week starring Matt Horsley at centre back. However Brosque almost broke the deadlock in the 28th minute when his left foot shot went inches from the top corner.

The Glory's attacks were few and far between but, with Queensland pushing players forward, they Glory did look dangerous. Simon Colosimo hit a lovely volley in the 35th that just whistled over the crossbar.

In the dying minutes of the first half Michael Baird released Brosque into the box, but Petkovic saved Brosque's shot with his legs. As the half came to a close the Glory could be happy with their performance, but for the Roar it was appearing as one of those nights again.

Desperate for the three points, Queensland Roar came out all guns blazing in the second half. Only one minute in and Brosque's ball put Baird through on goal, Petkovic got a hand to it, and Horsley ended up clearing the danger.

A minute later Baird shot from outside the area. It hit Horsley and Matt McKay missed one the easiest chances so far as he failed with the follow up, 6 metres from goal. The Roar were starting to a mass an army on the Perth Glory goal box.

Still the Glory counter attacked when possible, and a one-two between Bobby Despotovski and Damian Mori led to Despotovski's shot flying across the face of goal.

For the next 15 minutes the Roar hit shot, after shot, after shot. Petkovic pulled off another save from Baird, while Osvlado Carro hit the bar.

In the 62nd minute Josh McCloughan headed down to Dodd just outside the area. He tried to chip Horsley, but instead it hit Horsley's hand. Dodd waved and yelled for a penalty, referee Simon Przydacz played on. The follow-up shot was one again saved by Petkovic.

As the Roar were trying to battle the Glory defence, Josh McCloughan was fighting a lone battle with Mori and Despotovski. In the 66th minute he brought down Mori on the edge of the box. Free kick specialist Despotovski missed the upright by centimetres with Thomas Willis rooted to his goal.

Five minutes later and it was time for another string of shots from the Roar. Brosque hit one wide from outside the box. An awful mistake from Steve McMahon left Jonathan Richter in some space, but his shot went just past the top corner.

Brosque again ran through the middle, but his low shot was saved by Petkovic, who was having one of his best games of the season.

It was in the 83rd minute when the Roar fans must have been thinking the Glory goal had been spellbound by a witch doctor. The ball somehow got to Baird on the edge of the six-yard box. He somehow managed to completely scuff his shot when it looked easier to score. The ball bobbled around in the Glory box but the Roar were unable to latch on to it.

With so many attacking raids on the Glory goal it would have been cruel for the Glory to claim victory. But that's what almost happened in the 88th minute. Gibson was shielding the ball out for a goal kick, but he lost it to Mori. Billy Celeski in front of goal scooped Mori's low cross over. The Roar finally got some luck.

The clock ticked over and still the Roar couldn't breach the Glory defensive wall. In the last minute of stoppage time Baird turned in the box, but once again it was Petkovic to the rescue, saving Baird's low shot with fantastic agility.

The Queensland Roar fans were left disappointed once again as the final whistle blew. The Roar must regroup now and go on one of the toughest road trips in the league, Melbourne, followed by Sydney. Perth Glory will be happy to claim the point.