Kingz v Glory

Round 4 report by Eamon Duffy
Football Kingz v Perth Glory

In very wet condition in Auckland , Perth Glory overcame the longest trip in domestic football and an early morning (for them) kick off to score a convincing 3-1 victory over the pointless Football Kingz. A disappointing crowd of just 1245 turned up to witness the match.

The Kingz suffered a blow in the warm up when regular keeper Utting injured himself and his place was taken in goal by Nicholson for his first match.

The first half was a cagey hard fought scoreless affair with chances at a premium. The first chance fell to Ngata who turned inside North but failed to get his shot on target.

In the 21st minute a good run by Pondeljak finished with the ball pulled back and a good strike by Hassell which was cleared off the line.

Just 6 minutes from half time a great run by Jackson for the Kingz down the wing had him pulling the ball back into the penalty area for Scott, whose attempted volley was mis hit and Ngata failed to get a proper connection with his outstretched foot and the ball just went wide.

The 2nd half was only 3 minutes old when Perth showed their class as the ball found its way into the Kingz penalty where Despotovski found himself alone and he easily rounded the keeper and stoked the ball home to give Glory the lead.

In the 57th minute the lead was doubled as Horsley found Despotovski on the edge of the penalty area and he in turn passed the ball inside for Pondeljak, who calmly finished with a clinical strike.

At this stage Glory were clearly on top but after 64 minutes a great counter attack by Kingz let substitute Campbell measure his cross perfectly to the head of Ngata who put the ball back across keeper Petkovic and into the net at the far post.

The fillip this goal gave the Kingz only lasted 3 minutes as once again the Kingz defence was caught napping as Pondlejak miss hit a shot and the ball landed at the feet of Mori who made no mistake one on one with the keeper and to once again give Glory the cushion of a 2 goal lead.

For the rest of the match Glory were never really threatened and on occasions made some half chances themselves. However the match finished with a final score of 3-1 to the Champions.